Monday, August 26, 2019

HXR20YR RETROSPECTIVE: HXR030.5- THE 4-WAY SPLIT 12"

Here is a release that I had almost nothing to do with!  This was the first of (so far) only two releases I’ve ever done partnering with another label.  So on my end things were pretty hands off. 
And now for the back story- for several years I had been going to Gainesville Fest (or just affectionately known as ‘Fest’) and pretty much every year I’d come across a few bands that I’d never heard of that I found to be quite enjoyable, along with some of the obvious bigger bands that would play that were a lot of fun too.  Every year upon arrival at Fest people would check in, get their wristbands, hang out a bunch, and pour through the book you’d get describing each band (of like 150) playing, as well as the schedule for the weekend.  So in addition to the bands I knew of that I wanted to see I’d usually read a good description of a few bands that sounded interesting enough to take a chance on.
One of those years as I’m reading the guide I came across a band called Ex-Breathers.  They were a relatively local band (Tallahassee to be exact) and whatever was said about them made me pretty dead set to see if the description was true.  Well, it was and they ruled and their set kicked the shit out of me.
The real power behind this record

I kept up with them after that and eventually asked about doing a record of some sort with them.  Not long after they asked if I wanted to get in on a 4-way comp they were working on putting out as a joint venture between themselves, Community Records out of New Orleans, and myself.  The Ex-Breathers guys picked the other bands to share the comp with so I didn’t have much say in it.  I basically was just pitching in to ensure the thing came out.  I wasn’t so sure what to think about it, but the commitment was fairly minor, and it eventually led to me releasing the next Ex-Breathers LP (the only other record I have since co-released).  So overall it was well worth it.
Since I was fairly unfamiliar with the other bands here’s a little bit about each of them:
Ex-Breathers gettin' gory



Ex-Breathers:  three guys from Florida who aimed to be like Fugazi, but always sounded a little more thrashy and heavy.  Sure, there was plenty of post-hardcore love in the vein of Fugazi and Drive Like Jehu kinds of riffing (as well as a DIY aesthetic that drove them), but they had some wild energy that came straight out of hardcore, which made the music a bit more aggressive often.  Their three songs on this push that mix between mathy and weird, and driving and loose.
Ovlov in their element

Ovlov:  I knew nothing about this band but soon grew to greatly enjoy them.  They only added one song to this comp, but it’s a winner.  This Massachusetts-based group made very obvious their love for Dinosaur Jr and to me that was a fine path to take- heavy and melodic, super-fuzzy, slacker rock.  This song goes more in a Sabbath-y, sludge direction, which is a bit out of character for them but I dig it nonetheless.  They have since released two awesome full lengths through the reputable Exploding In Sound Records.


Woozy, whom I sadly never got to see

Woozy:  Well, I knew nothing about this band either.  Sadly, I also never had the chance to see them do their thing as they split up not too long after releasing an LP of their own.  However, their quirky mix of noodly guitar work, alternating and soothing vocals, and out-of-nowhere over-driven sludgy rock made them a unique part of this comp.  Their two songs on this are like two distinctly different personalities meeting up for a weird game of chess.  Since their demise the only thing I am aware of is guitarist/vocalist Kara Stafford has joined Thou.


Gnarwhal, a duo of impeccable hair

Gnalwhal:  This duo was probably the most eclectic of the bunch on this record as they delivered two tracks of wild, loopy, and weird indie stuff.  Mixing the incredibly intricate fretboard gymnastics and surreal drumming of bands like Hella, but with a slightly more centered approach, this Nashville band was quite the surprise to close out the B-side.  I’m not sure if Gnarwhal still considers themselves a band, but I know guitarist Chappy Hull is a full time member of Pile now, while drummer Tyler Coburn does time in both Yautja and Thou.



 

So that’s about all I have to say with this comp.  It was something I had little involvement in, but it yielded great results because it led me to release a full length for a band I adored, as well as introducing me to three other bands that all went on to do some very interesting stuff.

AND I happen to have exactly ONE copy of this cool LP left.  It's yours for $6GET IT HERE.
If you only roll digital head over to Community Records and check it out through them. 

No comments: