Wednesday, December 18, 2019

FAVORITES OF 2019. IT'S A LIST.



2019 was a really busy year for me. I put a lot on my plate and aimed to follow through with all of it.  Hence, this year went by incredibly fast.  Of course, I could pat myself on the back and say one of my favorite things this year was celebrating 20 years of operating Hex Records and catching up with all the bands and people that made it what it is, which has been a joyful undertaking.  I could also say that my favorite records were the ones I released this year (the Great Sabatini/Great Falls split 12", The Funeral, "Discography 2001-2004" 2xLP, USA Nails, "Life Cinema", Post/Boredom, "Ritualistic Time Abuser", and Pinko, "You & You" for those keeping score), but I like to shine some light on what others are doing, and doing well.  So here's my favorite records, shows, and events from this year that did not necessarily involve Hex Records stuff.  That stuffs that obvious favorite(s).  But here's some others:

FAVORITE RECORDS OF 2019



ALPHA HOPPER, “Aloha Hopper”
These Buffalo punks make such weird noise that just happens to be really catchy.  It takes a bit to adjust to between the wild bratty vocals and herky-jerky riffs, but there’s so much crazy energy going on that once it gets in your head it pays off in spades.






GIANTS CHAIR, “Prefabylon”
Nostalgia is a weird thing because I do not want to wallow in it, and I know it’s easy to want that old familiar thing and heap praise upon half-assed efforts just because it’s the old familiar.  But Giants Chair never got huge. For me, personally, the expectation was massive and 23 years after their last record the Kansas City trio really did it right.  They got right back into the pocket which made their heart worn Midwest rock so impressive while growing a bit as players.  It’s exactly the best case scenario a fan could hope for.


MANDATE OF HEAVEN, “Least Concern”
I will forever champion Greg Pier and company for being, what I feel, is the voice of Syracuse, for better or for worse.  His extensive body of work as (and with) Mandate Of Heaven has always been self-released, occasionally self-recorded, and remains a constant in a town that I spent the majority of my life in.  Since the century began Mandate has been cranking out a sort of bluesy-grungy rock that intertwines complex melodies and rhythms with Greg’s singular/signature vocal style into something unique and beautiful.  The initial version of this had the tracks in a different order, which I thought was perfect.  The physical CD copy is in a different order, which I don’t think works as well.  But good thing all the songs are winners.  “Human Ashtray” may be one of the year’s best rockers while “Numenoff” may be 2019’s prettiest/saddest ballad.

CLOUD RAT, “Pollinator”
Cloud Rat does grind like no other.  They are Discordance Axis for this generation.  Ridiculously precision next-level drumming, ripping guitars that tackle punk ferocity and emotive inventiveness all in one fell swoop, and vocals that screech through abstract tales of despair/disrepair and repair.  Oh, and they do all this as just a drummer, guitarist, and vocalist.  They’re extremely prolific, but they definitely saved some of their best material for this record, which continues their hardcore-punk-grind streak in new and exciting ways.

USA/MEXICO, “Matamoros”
The noisiest of sludge that barely qualifies as music, but comes in with just a hint of things that somehow get you humming in slow motion. It’s so abrasive in a ridiculous sort of way that I’m stupefied by how much I enjoy it.  Their nearly 6 minute cover of Cherubs “Shoofly” (with Cherubs Kevin Whitley singing it) is, as far as I’m concerned, better than the original.  They close out with the 17 minute long “Anxious Whitey”, which may as well be the sound of a jet engine firing up over and over again and somehow I’m completely enchanted by it.  Fucking Texans.  Those people are nuts.

TORCHE, “Admission”
Sometimes you just seek out consistency.  Torche is a pretty sure bet in that department.  Over their tenure they have crafted a sound so distinctly ‘them’ that there really seems to be no way that they could disappoint.  And on “Admission” they deliver with a bunch of songs both insanely catchy and bombastically heavy, and you know the rest because it’s Torche and they cannot fail.



CHILD BITE, “Blow Off the Omens”
Easily one of the most interesting bands in the ‘heavy’ arena going today.  Their grab bag of weird and obscure influences runs so strong, yet comes across so totally fluid, that it just makes these Detroit rockers come off as completely singular.  Voivod-meets-Laughing Hyenas-meets-Dead Kennedys-meets-saxophones set on fire and thrown off the top rope of the Royal Rumble of musical subgenres.



FAVORITE SHOWS OF 2019



1.13.2019- SUPER UNISON/ SLOW MASS/ U SCO/ HAIR PULLER- High Water Mark, Portland-  Sooo glad I got to see Super Unison before they called it a day.  I love both their LPs and they made me happy.  Slow Mass was an interesting surprise from Chicago, and a couple very solid local openers solidified the gig as legit.
                                  Super Unison

4.27.2019- ARCHITECT/ SHADOW SNAKES/ DIALYSIS/ GONER/ SUNFLO’ER- Apostrophe’s, Syracuse- To be surrounded by so many friends new and old that I barely ever see anymore and playing with bands that all make sense together and having a blast and eating HK.  That’s what it’s all about.

                              Shadow Snakes

5.16.2019-5.17.2019- EXHALANTS/ MARRIAGE AND CANCER- Kenton Club, Portland and Black Lodge, Seattle- One of my favorite locals playing a couple of their final gigs in their most solid lineup and killing it while my new favorite band from Texas utterly destroying ears and everything else with their huge sound and great set up.  So good I saw ‘em twice.
                               Exhalants

7.10.2019- JAWBOX/ HELMS ALEE- Wonder Ballroom, Portland- Seeing Helms Alee is always a treat because they’re one of the Northwest’s finest musical institutions.  Oh, and FUCKING JAWBOX.  I have been a fan since I was a teenager, but never had the opportunity to see them.  I’ve seen J. Robbins both solo and in several other bands, but never with the band he is most known for and oh my god were they incredible.  Still tons of energy, perfect songs, and exceptional playing and having lots of fun.  What else is there?
                                     Jawbox


10.16.2019- CHERUBS/ LOW DOSE- High Water Mark, Portland- Wonderful to see old Philly friends doing this amazing new project and having a ton of fun and passion while going for it.  Low Dose just totally slayed.  Cherubs were a sonic suplex followed by the dazed and confused, seeing stars, after-effect all at once with their noise-laden psych-heavy, totally balls-out rocking insanity.  It was my second time seeing them, which was not as awesome as the first, but I did get to hear all those new songs and that was nice.

10.24.2019- EYEHATEGOD/ NEGATIVE APPROACH/ SHEER TERROR/ FINAL CONFLICT/ THE ACCUSED- Dantes, Portland-  My god, talk about a show packed with so much negatively and skuzzy, dangerous music and I’m surprised I didn’t walk out of the place a murderous junkie waiting to huff fumes and stab regs.  Eyehategod is always a blast as they bring such a gnarly sound even with an altered lineup.  I haven’t seen Sheer Terror in 25 years and NOW I appreciate them to no end.  Maybe it’s because I’m older and more bitter.  I have never been able to see Negative Approach and they sounded so fucking mean they make Annie Wilkes seen downright charming in comparison.
                             Sheer Terror


FAVORITE EVENTS:



DIALYSIS NORTHWEST TOUR- I can’t believe I convinced the other two dudes in the band to come out here and play some shows.  I can’t believe we actually pulled it off either.  I can’t believe all of the shows were fun.  I can’t believe we almost made our money back.


VISITED ALASKA-  Sooooo many flies and mosquitoes. But I also saw glaciers and a whale and otters and some moose.


SYRACUSE FALL AND VEGFEST- There’s like a two week window generally in October in Central NY where things are pretty near perfect.  The weather isn’t too cold, it’s hopefully not raining, and the colors in the trees and hills are so vibrant you’d think you were in a painting.  Driving around all through upstate and into the pit of PA, hiking around, seeing friends and family, right at that time of year, just great.  Oh, and the first Syracuse Vegfest to occur since the last time it was held (10 years ago when myself and my wife put it on) gave me hope when over 3000 people showed up.  The new organizers did a great job.
Some scenic Alaskan beauty

RAN MY FIRST MARATHON-  So it was just a simple 5K.  I usually run almost double that on any given running day.  But I also tend to keep my runs on pretty flat ground, and at times of the day when the temperature is 50 or above.  This was Thanksgiving morning, around 8:30AM, up several hills, and in 30 degree weather.  It was tough.  I did not win. But I didn’t do too shabby either.


BECAME A CERTIFIED O.I.S.INSTRUCTOR-  This all has to do with my day job/career.  I work with folks with disabilities and if you do that sort of work in Oregon you are required to take a two-day training course every year called the Oregon Intervention System, which is like half lectures and topical discussions, and half physical maneuvers to assure the safety of your clients and yourself.  Well, I can now teach that course.  It also certifies me to fully author and train behavior support plans for people on my caseload.  I’m a pretty good teacher I must say.

No comments: