Wednesday, January 2, 2019

HEX20YR RETROSPECTIVE- HXR001: THE HEX RECORDS COMPILATION 7"




Since this year marks the 20th anniversary of this label I thought it would be cool to go back and indulge in some history of the releases that have come out over all those years.  I don’t have the biggest back catalog (especially for a label that has been running as long as mine), but they all hold a special place to me and there’s some interesting stories to go along with those releases.  This year I plan on highlighting a different record almost every week, doing a little history on it, and maybe talking to people involved in it’s creation.  So, like any (hopefully) good story, let’s start at the beginning.  But stay until the end for some extra goodies.

In 1999 I was on the cusp of graduating from college.  I was living in Buffalo and was planning on making some big moves with the zine I was doing at the time- Hanging Like a Hex- by moving it into a much larger page count, and adding a full color, glossy cover.  For a couple years I’d also had an interest in starting a record label, but I just didn’t quite know how to go about it.  However, a friend in Syracuse who was in the band Hermon DeKalb informed me that the label they were on- Temperance- were looking to do some sort of sampler record as a bonus with a zine to showcase bands on their label.  They had released records from (or were in the process of releasing records from) the aforementioned Hermon DeKalb, Nora from NJ, The Passenger Train Proposal from Philly, and Purpose, also from NJ.  All these bands were going to be on the record.  Hermon DeKalb recorded two new songs in preparation for it at Buffalo’s legendary Watchmen Studios that I had the pleasure of sitting in on (and receiving a speeding ticket driving home from after the session).  
                                                   Hermon DeKalb

                                                   Carl Severson from Nora
                                                                Nora at Syracuse Fest '98
 


And then the bottom fell out.  Temperance completely flaked and were not to be heard from ever again.  A couple of the bands also seemed to just disappear as well.  Just zero communication.  But things were already in motion so I reached out to bands I knew of and decided to try and keep it a little more local.  Syracuse’s Eternal Youth stated they had music to provide and I got a track from them.  And some little band out of Buffalo who had just started making some noise called Every Time I Die stated they had just recorded two new songs (after their standout demo).  One was set aside for a compilation on Goodfellow Records and they didn’t know what to do with the other one.  I offered to add it to my comp and that was that.
                                         ad for the comp. before things changed around a bit




I then had the issue of where to actually press this.  I spoke with Carl from Nora (who also ran Ferret Records, now Good Fight, and were also on the comp) about where he went to press records.  He put me in touch with Musicol Records out of Columbus, OH.  They were basically a father and son operation and were easy enough to deal with.  I put the order in for 1000 records and I came up with a cover, designed and printed it down at Kinkos, added somewhere in the order of 300 copies to the initial batch of zines for retail spots (I was bumping up the pressing of my zine to 2000 copies at the time), and sold the rest separately, or gave to the bands to sell.
All in all it worked out well.  It was rather hodgepodge, but in the end Eternal Youth, Hermon DeKalb, Nora, and Every Time I Die comprised the first Hex Records release.  Two of those songs (from Hermon Dekalb and Every Time I Die) to date have never been released elsewhere.
                   Eternal Youth (note Pete Wentz from Fallout Boy in the background with the sideburns)

                                            Eternal Youth




 To go with the release I did short interviews/write-ups on each band for issue #12 of Hanging Like a Hex, of which the record was released to coincide with.  Eternal Youth were a local Syracuse band started by my good friend Tom Ranger.  It was the first band he had ever been in.  Tom was one of the first people I really got to know well within the Syracuse hardcore scene, as he had an extremely pleasant and polite demeanor towards nearly everyone he met.  It’s a rare trait, but one he is an expert in.  I think if it weren’t for his welcoming nature I probably would never have met most of the people in town that I ended up being friends with afterwards.  The other guys from Eternal Youth were Tony Merola, who I ended up being roommates with a few years later; Andy Williams, who later played bass in my first band The Funeral; Brad Dingman, a local Rochester guy who was known more for singing in the militant vegan straight edge band Contempt (and later on, Break Of Dawn) rather than drumming for a punk band.  Guitarist Dan Hunter started out with the band, but later on Grant Johnson (also of The Funeral, Spark Lights the Friction, Night Owls, and Difficult) took his place as second guitarist.  Below is a bit I did with them in Hanging Like a Hex #12 to promote the record.

Obviously, the band that ended up gaining the most notoriety was Every Time I Die.  To date, the song they contributed was never re-recorded, or re-released, on any other record.  It remains a lone anomaly in their deep catalog, but one which I think is still a pretty righteous song.  It definitely caters to their earlier style, which long time fans will be familiar with.  I had the good fortune of living in Buffalo right as they got started, even in the suburb that two of their members grew up in- North Tonawanda.  I had known Andy Williams (the other Andy Williams on this record) and Mike Novak (AKA Ratboy) from their previous band- the grind/powerviolence-influenced Sirhan from booking them a couple times in the Syracuse area.  They were a great pair, and when they teamed up with the Buckley brothers the band took off immediately.  Right from the get-go their shows were crazy.  Always tons of energy, wild antics, and lots of fun shenanigans.  Not long after this comp came out they began touring more, releasing full lengths, and making the band their life.  20 years later and they’re at the top of their game still.  Coincidentally, both them and this label are celebrating 20 year anniversaries, which is pretty cool.  Somewhere in-between that demo/7”-era and their first full length I interviewed vocalist Keith Buckley for Hanging Like a Hex zine #14 (around 2000-2001) and here’s some excerpts from that:

R:  You know, every band that has played this place hates playing here.  Is it because of the sound?



K:  It’s the sound.  It’s not very personal.  I don’t like stages I guess.  I need to have people really intimate because I’m constantly glaring out into the lights and I’m just sweating profusely, and I don’t see people’s facial expressions.  I just see this huge myriad of hair and eyes, and it’s very impersonal.  I like to hear people’s voices when they try and sing along.  It just makes the whole atmosphere a little more enjoyable I suppose.  It’s harder to get a response on a stage.
                                         ETID at Westcott Community Center around 2000

R:  But the thing is that you guys are going to have to deal with that more now with getting on bigger shows and so forth.



K:  Right.  And there’s no better place to get warmed up to that than your hometown when your friends come out and support you.  But I also don’t want anyone to do anything that they feel is obligatory.  I don’t want people to show up just because we’re their friends.  But it’s good to know that you’re comfortable in front of people when on a stage where there are situations when you’re very separate from, and very intimidated by them mixed with everyone else.

R:  But what about having to give up a little of that crowd intimacy by playing on bigger stages?
                       ETID Buffalo maybe?  One of their first shows around early 1999





K:  I don’t know.  I guess it’s just part of the game, and you have to suck it up.  I’m not going to complain about it.  I’m not going to get on stage and have a shitfit about it because I can’t have people around me.  I mean, if people came out to see us then we’re going to give them what they came for.

R:  I guess so.  So what do you think about being a pretty young band, where all of the members have little background band experience, and all of a sudden receiving a lot of attention?



K:  It’s kind of funny.  It’s always sort of funny to me because I’m naive about it.  I wasn’t ever really in a band before.  I know Andy and Rat were, Aaron (former bassist- ed.) was, Jordan was in a local band.  But it’s funny because when we’d be practicing in the basement it was just sort of fun.  I didn’t even really know Andy or Ratboy until we decided to get together, and now to come out and play, while being so naïve as to how the schematics of a band works, how the politics of how a band works, still gets me off guard.  Also, paradoxically, I think our age holds us back because none of us are really aggressive as far as getting what the band needs.  Like, I’m not really much of a people person when it comes to setting up shows.  My schedule is so busy with school that I’m really afraid to start booing shows because I feel like if I tell somebody we can play, and we have an obligation to them, then I have to go back and make sure everyone else can do it.  
                                            ETID, Buffalo, NY at Sikora Post 1999


R:  What are you graduating (school) with?



K:  I’m graduating next Spring with my degree in English.

R:  What are you going to do with it?


K:  I want to write books.

R:  Somehow I knew you were going to say that.



K:  I know it sounds like such a pipe dream, like, ‘Oh, I want to be an actor!’  But I really want to write books, and I think you really can’t do that on hope alone, and I want to be a professor, but in the meantime write here and there.  I guess it’s sort of preliminary though because I feel that with all the work I put into school to glorify this I can handle the band and teaching.
                                                                       A more accurate ad for the comp.

*And while this comp is long out of print you can get the digital version of it through the Hex Records bandcamp for just $2 this week only (Jan. 3rd-8th).  As an added bonus, if you purchase this comp keep an eye on your e-mail because someone will win a test pressing of the 7"!  So go and do that now.
                                                           Hermon DeKalb at Westcott Community Center


No comments: