Monday, June 3, 2019

HXR20YR RETROSPECTIVE: HXR021- END OF A YEAR, "More Songs About Transportation and Intercourse" 7"


The End Of a Year 7” that Hex Records released is a tough one to write about.  I say that because the band has been so ridiculously prolific that some rinky-dink three-song record didn’t really differentiate itself all that much from the massive pile of other records they did, and that’s before they even changed their name (and the majority of their lineup) to Self Defense Family.  As End Of a Year they had no less than a dozen 7”s and three full lengths.  Moving on into Self Defense they have at least 20 7” records with their name on it, as well as several LPs and 12” EPs.  I did a record for them that contained two good songs and a crazy Talking Heads cover that was not only halfway botched, but it’s also a pretty second-tier Talking Heads song to begin with.  That’s what sets it apart from the others- a goofy cover song and an homage record cover that took me fucking forever to create.  All that said, I don’t know if it stands out from the pack. 



I think that record maybe meant more to me, personally, than it may have meant for the band.  It solidified some friendships within that group that I value.  It gave me a chance to really dive into some graphic design stuff that I was happy to do, regardless of the time I spent making it.  I can now say I’ve released a record with a Talking Heads song on it, one of my favorite bands of all time.  And it also capped off an extremely busy year for me (the record was slated for 2009 release, but ended up coming out just as 2010 began, and after a few releases that were supposed to come after it), as it was the label’s 10th anniversary and I was trying to do a lot of special stuff for it.
Says vocalist Pat Kindlon about the record: “I can say I haven’t seen the record in years so I don’t know what the originals are on the record.  But I do recall sheepishly submitting it to you because of the Talking Heads cover being so very bad.  You didn’t flinch.  And it was at that moment I realized we were free to release anything.”


Which certainly holds true, as the band did begin changing their sound, trying new things, experimenting with structure and other ideas.  But at the time the band remained very busy between constantly recording and touring.  Much of the recording sessions took place on their own with bassist (and continuing collaborator) Andrew Duggan handling the engineering duties. 
“We were often running mic cables from our tiny rehearsal room to another rehearsal room we would borrow to put the mixing board in and vaguely engineer recordings in that fashion.  These songs may have been a product of that process”, Kindlon recalls.
While that DIY approach served End Of a Year for quite some time, eventually it got slightly more serious.  “Later Andrew got a job at a studio and we’d go in on empty calendar days.  But this record was so early I imagine we were still in the practice space”, states Kindlon.  And that was when the band was still based primarily in the Albany, NY region (or as they would sometimes specify, ‘Cohoes, NY’).

Personally, my association with the band began when, after hearing about them for quite awhile and others telling me I’d be into what they do, End Of a Year ended up playing the living room of Recess Coffee shop in Syracuse.  I remember arriving to the show wearing a Talking Heads shirt.  I saw guitarist Hans Leibold, whom I’d met years ago in a decidedly more hardcore band (Burning Bridges, what's up?) he used to play in and didn’t realize he was part of this group.  We exchanged pleasantries and he said to me, ‘you ought to talk to our singer Patrick.  He loves Talking Heads.’  So I found the guy, introduced myself, talked about our shared interest in Talking Heads, and an equal fondness for Earth Crisis, and right then and there I knew I’d come across a pretty good fellow.  They played their set a little later and everyone was right- I really did enjoy their music, their carefree attitude, and Pat’s lengthy between-song banter.  From that point on End Of a Year began playing Syracuse more regularly.
After some time, the band I played in at the time, Mistletoe, played a number of shows with End Of a Year in various places (mostly upstate NY) and we all got a bit more tight.  I thought it only natural to ask them to do a record, and for whatever reason, about a dozen other people were asking them to do records as well.  So I think the one I did may have gotten lost in the shuffle a bit, what with so many other labels releasing material for them at around the same time.

They were fine with the idea of doing a record, however, I wanted to make it a little different than some of the stuff they had been doing, and asked if they would entertain the idea of covering a Talking Heads song, which was sort of the jumping off point of getting to them in the first place.  They figured that would be fine too.  I began developing artwork that was a play on the “More Songs About Buildings and Food” album (the original was a band photo comprised of hundreds of Polaroids, mine was a digital recreation of that not using Polaroids) and they even named the 7” as a riff on that classic Talking Heads album.  I sort of figured they would also go with a classic Heads song, maybe off one of the first few albums.  But why would End Of a Year do anything that was expected?  No, they went with “Wild, Wild Life”, off the much later-era “True Stories” record, which is also sometimes thought of as not being quality Talking Heads material.   Sure, it was a radio hit, and I still like it.  But it’s a little silly.  End Of a Year’s take was even more ridiculous given that they left out a whole section of the song, and recorded the banter before and after the session of how they screwed up and would get sued. 
Of course, they recorded a couple others for this as well- the very moving and faith-questioning “Barbara Peyton” and the brief and faster-paced "Ethan Hawke”.  This was around that time where they were naming every song after actual people that you had to Google to find out what their deal was.

One last bit to emphasize the rather caviler and um… DIY aspect of this record is I made every one of these covers.  I didn’t really want to go through a manufacturer for them as it was a weird packaging concept (the cover folded in half, and then folded again inside to form a pocket for the record) so I bought the paper (which was quality) and took it to a local copy chain that did not keep good track of how many copies anyone made and I would use their color copier to run this heavy-stock paper through their bypass tray, doing 30-40 at a time, and then cutting them all to size myself, folding them, and assembling the records.  It took freaking ages.  I made so many trips to that shop (the pressing of this record was 500 copies), and sneaked out of there so many times with a backpack full of copies that I am absolutely certain the staff there did not care enough about their jobs to crack down on my rampant misuse of their color copier.  Also, that store is no longer around.
So that’s the story of “More Songs About Transportation and Intercourse”, a weird and fun record by End Of a Year.  It’s all gone now, I have no idea how I got rid of 500 copies of that, but they’re gone, never to be seen again (but maybe in the wild somewhere).  So if you want it either go to Discogs, or for the next week, get the digital versions of the songs off the bandcamp for a scant $2.  It’s the least you can do.

Currently, you can find vocalist Pat Kindlon keeping busy in Self Defense Family and Drug Church.  He also writes comics sometimes, and also is one of the hosts of the Axe to Grind podcast.  Hans Leibold and Andrew Duggan host the popular Overnight Drive podcast and Andrew still contributes to Self Defense with recording and occasional accompaniment.  And to be perfectly honest, I have no clue what drummer Eric Busta is up to, nor guitarist Sean Doody .  But they're both fantastic musicians and it would be nice to find out if they were doing anything these days.

No comments: