Monday, September 9, 2019

HXR20YR RETROSPECTIVE: HXR032- DIALYSIS, "Abastab" 7"

so pretty it needed two different colored covers


If creating a second Dialysis 7” proved anything it was that we didn’t really know when to stop.  But it was also a jaw-dropping surprise that we even made it this far.  Something worked and it seemed fun enough to continue to pursue.  So we really let all the weird and crazy ideas we had just shake out and not intentionally try to write just fast, short punk songs (although that certainly did occur).  There were a few points where there was some uncertainty if we would keep going, but ultimately playing shows was fun, traveling around was a good time, hanging out with each other produced a lot of stupid jokes, and sometimes those interactions would lead to song ideas.  And for whatever reason, we couldn’t just leave them alone.  We had to follow up with those ideas.
Things kind of took off from a very Anthrax-inspired riff that John had been playing for months and at the same time I was writing some very Syracuse-centric lyrics with the idea that there ought to be a song about things I really enjoyed about town and a bunch of things I hated about living there.  I also thought it would be funny to have two songs start out with the same riff, but be about different things.  Thus, was born “Things I Like About This Place” (which ended up on the record) and “Things I Hate About This Place” (which ended up on the split with Bleak, which came later).  I took the idea from the band The National Acrobat, who started two songs on different records with the same riff (one of which was released on Hex).
But once that idea was solidified we really got cracking on a bunch of other stuff that seemed to just steamroll together.  Long van rides late at night were punctuated with listening to early 80’s Genesis records because they’re really good and we thought it would be funny to use their songs as our intro music because why would grind-freaks and punk kids have any interest in hearing that?  And from that came the title of the record, a play on “Abacab”, but, ya know, more violent.  Hence, “Abastab”.  It’s a stupid title, which should make no sense to anyone.  But for whatever reason, we thought it was hilarious.
And I finally was able to get a favorite comics artist of mine, Liz Suburbia, to do the cover art.  I had asked her about doing art for another release but she was busy finishing her book “Sacred Heart” (which was released through Fantagraphics and ended up winning some big comics awards).  But for this record she was free and I sent her a big list of things I wanted on the cover and she completed it perfectly.  And to make things even wackier I decided to try my hand at making comics again (I had illustrated some zines, as well as making a handful of goofy tour posters for us) and both John and Matt encouraged me to give it a go.  So I cobbled together some weird story based around the song titles and lyrics on the record, laid out a basic plan, and got to it.  It also doesn’t make much sense, but it sort of does.
The whole notion around “Abastab” was really just throwing it all out there- doing whatever crazy ideas we felt we needed to get out of our system.  It’s a crazy record.  And I think who better to assess the overall course of this record than Dialysis’ far out drummer.  Matt is the one who takes the riffs and makes them sound like a whirlwind of insanity.  He takes an idea that I might think is so-so and lays a beat over it that makes me a full believer of what a song can be.  It’s a rush hearing the intensity of what our songs turn into when he gets behind the kit.  Matt is also the guy snoozing in the back of the van when we’re out driving to who knows where and out of nowhere will chime in with an idea, or joke, that elicits so much laughter that it keeps us coasting the rest of the weekend.  He will throw out random ideas for song titles and it’s just so good I’ll feel compelled to make something up for it to ensure it becomes a song.  He doesn’t like social media because it probably cannot handle what goes on in his brain, so I got him on tape.  It’s high time I spoke with the one and only Matt Calabrese about the second Dialysis record, “Abastab”.
 The one and only

I like that this record is a mish-mash of all sorts of weird shit we were thinking about at the time and our attempt at trying to cram in every idea, dumb joke, and random influence that we had up to that point into 11 tracks, one comic, and seven inches of vinyl.

I haven’t listened to “Abastab” in awhile, but the last time I re-visited it I was really pleased with what I heard.  I thought, ‘wow, this is a really aggressive recording.’  It’s really aggressive.  I think there’s a lot of bands that have a second record and they get a bit more raw.  Like, for example, “In Utero” is super raw compared to “Nevermind”, even though it’s their third.  But theres other bands that make a second record that is really raw and that’s what I think about when I think of “Abastab”.
I don’t remember a lot of the material on it because there’s so many songs and it was so long ago to me.  We don’t really play a lot from that one.


There’s a couple we do.  But sometimes I think about it and think, we should play a couple more of these!’

We could definitely do that.  But that’s kind of the way it is with all of our records.  There’s songs I forget about and would have to relearn.  There’s a couple songs I’ve only played once or twice!


I kind of feel like we tested the waters with the first seven inch, and then decided to try mixing things up a bit with “Abastab” and do some weirder shit.  Do you agree?

The first one is a bit uptight!  And I like that recording a lot too.  After it came out I listened to it a lot.  It came out good.  But one of the things that makes “Abastab” special as well is the artwork and the thought that went into that.  It’s really a special package.  The cover of the album really shows what we do.  It’s kind of what it’s like at our shows.


I think it’s representative of what I would ideally want one of our shows to look like.
 The cover rough sketch, into realized final image, courtesy of Liz Suburbia

And I think some of that cool packaging goes back to conversations we have all had within the band about albums from bands we admire where you interacted with the artwork and packaging, and there was a lot to look at and have fun with.  Our stuff is very colorful and it’s very busy.  I think we’ve done a good job getting the artwork to reflect that and the busy-ness of it all. 


And I don’t think you guys have ever given me shit about wanting the artwork a certain way.

No, no!  That’s one of the things that works.  People in the band are allowed to play and just have fun, and do what they like doing.  It’s not an uptight situation where you’re in a band and one person controls everything.  Plus, it’s only three people!  That’s why it works so well.  It’s just me, you, and John.

Economy is really understated in the dynamics of a functioning band.

The band was born out of forced minimalism.  And it wasn’t just us at the time.  There were a lot of other bands like Twin Lords in Ithaca who were a two piece, or Empty Vessels, who were a duo.


I think when we first started I was a little hesitant because it was just guitar and drums. But then I thought about a bunch of bands that I like that have the same set-up and figured ‘this is OK’.  Plus, not having five people in a band is fucking awesome.  It makes things so easy.

So easy dude.  That’s why it works.  It’s not a cluttered situation.  John and I drive the music, you put in your input, you sing about what you want and do it the way you want.  The more people you have in a band the more messy it can get.  We’ve both been in bands with five or six people.  And god bless Ebony Sorrow, it’s worked  like that for a long time.  But there’s been a lot of situations that I’ve been in where it did not work with five or six people.  It’s pretty rare.
 Original pages/layout for the comic portion of the record

But this band is the only group you have really done much in the way of touring with, right?

Well, yeah.  There have been some firsts for me in Dialysis.  There have been some long stretches of shows with my old band Excoriation.  But the touring aspect of being in a van, that’s just with Dialysis.  Aside from that I’ve just played a lot of shows.  But being in the van, and having gone across the country, Dialysis is the only band I’ve done any of that with.  Or went out for like five days in a row. 
But that’s what I wanted to do, and Dialysis has made it possible for me to achieve small goals like that.  One of them was definitely going to play on the other coast.  That was one goal we were able to achieve.  Another goal was to put out a full length.  I’m grateful to still be doing the band with you and John.
 One of many dumb show posters I made for yucks

I’m surprised at our own accomplishments.  I never thought it would go this far.

Yeah!  I see them as accomplishments.  They may seem very small, but in my life they’re pretty significant.  We still have fun doing it and I want to continue to do it.  I’ll do it until the wheels fall off.  I’m always going to want to play music.  Always.  And I’m always going to want to play aggressive music as well.  It’s one thing I have to do.


Did you end up trying out for Suffocation at one point?

No.  What happened was I was in a death metal band and I was very young.  I was in a band called Excoriation and we went to New England Metal Fest in 2003. Suffocation played it.  I was about 17, but there were two guys in Excoriation who were quite a bit older, like in their 30s.  And they made friends with Suffocation while we were there.  And then we ended up going to record a demo at their studio, which was in Long Island.  It was really cool, and really surreal.  We went to Mike Smith’s house and watched them practice.
So that’s the story.  But I’m sure that story got to you, or handed down to you, from a few other people or something.  I didn’t try out for them, but I definitely hung out with them when I was very young.  And they showed me a lot of things.  They really did.  Not all of them, but a couple guys from the band who were partying hardcore.  These guys were up for a few days at a time. 
So we recorded there and eventually all the guys came through at one time or another.  A couple of the guys from Obituary were there as well in town doing something.
But I was 17 years old at the time and that was really exciting for me because I loved all those bands at the time.
Another interesting thing I remember from doing that is that when we went to Mike Smith’s house to watch them practice there was a Word Is the Virus (Syracuse band featuring members of Architect, Dialysis, etc) CD on Mike Smith’s table.  I thought, ‘this is bizarre’.

I’m curious as to your dad’s involvement with this music.  By all accounts no parents should really enjoy our music at all.  But he seems to really like it.  He’s even joined us a couple times to do a song.

Well there’s an interesting story about my dad and why he’s into our music.  When I was growing up I was always playing drums.  My dad gave me my first drum set, but before that I would play on like one of those Igloo coolers in my garage with a piece of wood.  The first real band I ever played in was Ebony Sorrow, and then, from there, Excoriation.  But all the people I played with were always much older than me.  So because these people were much older than me my dad would literally come down to the band room with me.  He would bring me there, and then hang out and drink beers with the other guys in the band!  We would have band practice.  He would do this a lot!  I mean, the first time one of these guys picked me up my parents grilled him!  They were just being protective parents.  But over time people like John became friends of the family and my parents have come out to shows.  My mom has come out to see me play before.  So I’m very lucky and grateful for that, and they still support me with that to this day.  They always have.
 The 'Sonic Euthanasia' t-shirt that has nothing to do with grind-y music at all

You got involved with playing with John when you were really young and you guys have been kind of constants in terms of musical writing partners since then.  How have you maintained that partnership over almost 20 years?

I think that the reason is that a lot of bands and people over-think things a lot and they get paralyzed when it comes time to make a decision when they should just be punk rocking shit.  And I found that the method that John uses is very punk rock.  I wouldn’t say he’s the leader of Ebony Sorrow, but he’s definitely the captain.  He steers that ship.  He’s very punk rock about how he makes decisions and I’ve learned that from John over the years and I think that’s why I think he and I have been able to play together for so long.
Also, I have an allegiance to John because he’s really the person who gave me a shot when I was a kid.  I read what he had said about my tryout for Ebony Sorrow and it was exactly what he said it was-  he came in the room and said, ‘hey Matt, let me hear your blast beat’.  I laid a blast beat on him and he said, ‘you’re in the band’, and I’ve been in the band ever since! (laughs)
I love John and he is my best friend, but he’s also like everybody’s best friend.  He really is.  He is everybody’s best friend.  So we not only play together, but it’s been a friendship over a long time as well.  And when you play in a band with your friends it tends to last longer.  I’ve played in both- bands with your life long friends and bands that are just people who are other musicians.  But the stuff that lasts the longest is the stuff you do with your friends more than likely.
                                             Blast eternal


What’s been the best part of Dialysis and the worst part?

The best part of the band is just being able to do something I like with my friends and having other people in the band who are ambitious, and have allowed me the opportunity to have some small goals in my life to come to fruition.  That’s the best.
The worst part of it was that one weekend in Jersey and Long Island.  Those were rough gigs.  That was the actual worst time the band ever had.

The hang out part was fun.

The hanging out was fun.  And that’s basically what you do when on the road.  You wake up thinking you’re ready to rock and then it’s like, ‘OK, it’s a four-hour car ride’.  And then you get there and you’re like, ‘I’m ready to rock!’ and you hear it’s four or five other bands, so it will be awhile before you play.  You kind of have to look at it as travelling, not playing!
We’ve been through a lot together as a band.  We’ve had some good shows and very few bad ones.  I can think of only two or three shows where we didn’t play well.  One of which was that D.R.I. show.  We showed up and some guy bought like one of everything we had before we even played.  We get up onstage and put up a poster of a cowboy in his underwear and we played and we were just terrible.

We got through like three songs and had to call it.

We just bombed! (laughs)

It was a weird venue.  It looked like a supper club.

You know what the problem was at that show?  I used someone else’s drums I think.  And at that show the drums I used were not that great.  I was under-equipped to play.  And then Jon kept breaking strings.
He broke so many strings that he just ran out.  He started running down songs he could play with just two or three strings, and I was like, ‘nah, let’s just wrap it up.  Just say ‘we’re sorry’, get a Snickers bar, and go home.’
 The original postcard used for part of the layout of the 7" with the "Things I Like.." lyrics on it

Pretty much.  That was rough.

I feel bad for the guy who bought all our records!  We just happened to have a bad night.  Hopefully he went home and listened to the records.  If he’s reading this, I hope you got your money’s worth from our records at least!
------------------

Speaking of getting your money's worth, now's a good time to grab a copy of "Abastab" because I'm selling it on the cheap this week.  $4 gets you the 7".  It comes with a damn comic book!  It's 11 tracks!  And there's two different colors for the cover!  It's quite the package if I do say so myself.  If you don't care about that stuff and just want straight rippers get the digital version for only $3 via the bandcamp.  You can get it HERE.

No comments: