Monday, December 13, 2021

IT'S THE END OF THE YEAR LIST YOU ALL KNEW IT WAS COMING.

 

I don't know about you, but this was the year for amazing EPs, singles, demos...  basically short records.  While a few LPs completely dominated (see the first two entries) there were so many good EPs that I was loving.  Don't know why.  That's just how my personal list played out.  Anyway, here's what was good for me this year, as well as some stuff I'm looking forward to next year.



 

TURNSTILE, “Glow On”

I’d say getting songs stuck in your head for multiple months is probably reason enough to add this to a year end list.  This an incredibly fun, engaging, and surprisingly very thoughtful record (well, minus “Dance Off”) and if you don’t want to bounce around and sing-along to this you might actually be dead inside.

 

QUICKSAND, “Distant Populations”

My favorite band ever has legit made some of their best songs.  I’m totally biased, but the band has really gotten their groove back of writing incredible songs together.  I couldn’t be more pleased.  This one has consistently gotten tons of play since it was released.

 

DRIP-FED, “Kill the Buzz”

Some of the most fun and ripping hardcore I’ve heard in quite awhile.  Super fun and melodic like the best Polar Bear Club jams paired up with the wild punk/hardcore energy of groups like Hour Of the Wolf to make this wonderful second LP from the Austin group.

 

BUMMER, “Dead Horse”

Total ass-beating music from this KC trio.  They make more noise between the three of them than a symphony of monster trucks tearing ass through a junkyard.  Riffs upon riffs upon riffs, heaped atop of pulverizing groove and a relentless drive to make some of the best new noise rock one could possibly ask for.

 

FIDDLEHEAD, “Between the Richness”

I was a bit biased against this group for no good reason previously.  I never really got into Have Heart and I got a bit uppity about hardcore kids acting like this band was re-inventing the wheel or something when countless emotional HC/indie bands from Rites Of Spring to Braid have pulled it off successfully over the years.  But I got over myself and realized this is just a really fucking good band who made a really fucking good record.  Super melodic, super driving, great vocals, and great songs.

 

 

Favorite EPs

 

PORCUPINE, “The Sybil”

Yes, bring on completely unhinged hardcore mayhem.  A band that covers Deadguy just as easily as they attempt a Suicide cover gets a nod in my book.  To me they sound like Rorschach for today’s world- making crazy music firmly rooted in fast hardcore, but completely open to taking chances on the unknown.  They did an excellent job with this ripping EP that comes in a really cool package and I hope they continue to make amazing new recordings at their seemingly furious pace.

 

CHERUBS, “Slo Blo 4 Frnz & Sxy”

You know I love weird and heavy and Cherubs are about as weird and heavy as it gets.  I don’t do drugs but Cherubs makes me think I do.  Can you break edge to audio recordings?  They recorded a few new songs and then offered digital versions (or just slow your record player to 33 rpm) of the same songs reallllly slow.  It’s fucked up.  But their sense of non-stop noisy feedback over the fuzziest of riffs and the wildest swinging drumbeat ever and vocals so off-kilter one wonders how people grow up to be this way.  I love it.  No one sounds like Cherubs and that’s what makes them incredible.

 

BRAIN CAVE, “Log World”

Post-hardcore leaning real heavy into the groove and riff, a foggy and grungy foot stomping affair from these Ohio dudes.  It’s not like they invented fire here, it just feels like these dudes read my mind in terms of the exact kind of music I love and laid it to tape.  A really nice follow up to their awesome full length from last year.

 

BEAUTY PILL, “Instant Night”

Another band that is incredibly one-of-a-kind.  Of course I can pick out things in their music that remind me of other genre defying artists, but they’re so far afield from one another that when Beauty Pill puts those pieces together it makes for something altogether whole and new.  If you can hang with Tortoise at the same time as De La Soul and musicians who play in museums you can appreciate Beauty Pill.

 

STUCK, “Content That Makes You Feel Good”

It took a bit to come around to Stuck, but after a bunch of listens I finally realized their full length from last year, “Change Is Bad” is super good.  So I got excited about this new EP, which is like a perfectly condensed summation of their sound that tells a story over five expertly-crafted post punk jams.  It’s so incredibly succinct and descriptive all at once through music and lyrics I’m blown away at the efficiency of it all.

 

COLONIAL WOUND, “Degradation”

Only three songs but total eardrum-blasting, angular and grooving metallic heaviness that hits all the right spots. Maybe I miss Coalesce and Engineer, and these Florida cats are just paying homage in the best way possible.  They will tear you in half.

 

KNUB, s/t

Look, I grew up in the 90s and heavy music that is not only real catchy but real heavy at the same time is like peanut butter and chocolate smashed together for me.  Knub have crafted the perfect 90’s-style heavy rock demo.  These guys are probably my age too so they know what they’re doing.

 WIPES, "Dumpster"/"You're the Boss"

Look, Tile was one of the goddamned heaviest bands ever, and equally as pissed.  This new iteration of Tile/new band is friggin' heavy and throws some curveballs in there too.  You're just not ready for what they're going to bring.

Runner ups

 

GLOOP, “Crayon Sun”

Super weird and noisy punk that these cats have been banging out for a few years now and they just really nailed it here.  Sassy chaotic punk without making you want to punch them in the face for it.

 

EKULU, “Unscrew My Head”

Hard-fucking-core.  Dudes with chops making well-crafted bangers that can throw thrash, NYHC style, Clevo style, and a bit of their own unique thing into a blender and churn out a face-crusher as a result.

 

OVLOV, “Buds”

Consistency is the name of the game for Ovlov, except this one is better.  Dino Jr worship with some added stoner rock buzz/bliss.  “Cheer Up, Chihiro!” when it brings that sax in…  man.  They’re on it.

 

 

I actually saw live music this year and these were my favorite shows

 

 


GAYTHIEST/ PET WEAPON, Kenton Club, Portland 7.24- The first indoor show I’d been to in over a year with probably the most fun band you could possibly go see.  It was like a great little reunion for all the people you’re accustomed to seeing at shows with a band that welcomes all to have a fun time with.  And we all had a lot of fun

 


 

BULLY, Mississippi Studios, Portland, 9.6- Bully are such a great live band.  They just tear it the heck up and write really damn good songs.  “Sugaregg” was one of the better records released a couple years back and it was cool to finally hear a whole bunch of those songs live.

 

 

QUICKSAND, Wonder Ballroom, Portland, 10.11-  Duh, it’s Quicksand.  They played their amazing new album, as well as a ton of songs you already love them for.  Steve Brodsky played second guitar and brought magic to the stage.  They never looked like they were having more fun than they were that night.  I was overwhelmed with joy.


 

 

Looking forward to in 2022:

 

 -All the records I ordered in 2021

 

-Drug Church, “Hygiene”

 

-Bitter Branches, “Your Neighbors Are Failures”

 

-Cloakroom, “Dissolution Wave”

 

-new stuff from Easy Prey, Still/Form, Colonial Wound, Wipes, Knub, Brain Cave, Mums, Truth Cult (hopefully)

 

-Pinko going on tour in April

 

-That Turnstile/Truth Cult/Ekulu tour in May

 

-Hopefully recording some new music this year with Dialysis, maybe play a show or two?

No comments: