Thursday, April 11, 2024

HEX RECORDS 25th ANNIVERSARY SINGLE SERIES- APRIL- WIPES COVERING KARP!

 


I first met Ray from Wipes when he was in the band Tile.  Tile was basically the predecessor for Wipes and share a very similar sound.  I had heard their music a few months before and was hooked on it’s massive sludgy punk ugliness.  We got to know one another and we would chat regularly, and I made it known how much I’d love to work together.  My intent was that I’d always do a record or something for Tile, but it didn’t come to pass.  Instead, Ray started Wipes to carry the torch and we finally had a chance to work together on a record. 

Now let me talk a bit about KARP.  I love KARP.  I love that they embodied humor, that touch of something that’s in the water of the Northwest, and most of all that friggin’ bass tone.  Holy shit that tone.  I randomly came across the self-titled LP when it came out, and likely while I was traveling around the Northwest, and I bought it just because it looked cool and they had a cool name. These days, as superficial as it may seem in the whole spectrum of reasons to put a record out for a band, getting a sound like KARP did really makes an impression upon me.

I can’t say for sure if KARP is an influence upon Wipes, like consciously.  But I think Wipes are able to take those sort of super ugly sounds, and tons of feedback, and turn it into a super catchy riff and to me that’s golden.  So I tasked them with covering KARP with the sole restriction that it be something from the self-titled LP and they came back with the repetitive, dirgey monster of “Forget the Minions”.  That being said, I’ll take a page from Ray’s past body of work and reappropriate it in my own way as a greeting to Wipes:  You’ve Got a Friend in the Northwest.

Speaking of which, WIPES are going to embark on their first trip to the Northwest very soon.  How’s that for timing and kismet?  Here’s the dates:


Friday, May 3rd- Portland @ Fixin To (Hex Records 25th anniversary show)

Saturday, May 4th- Seattle, WA @ The Kraken

Sunday, May 5th- Bellingham, WA @ The Shakedown


Now go listen to the cover:  https://hexrecords.bandcamp.com/track/wipes-forget-the-minions



No comments: